Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Athens - 3 years later

Dave and I have been married for almost 3 years now - I figured it's time I reflect on the last part of our honeymoon, Athens.

We stayed in the swankiest hotel I've ever been in, in my life. The Hotel Britannia. It's the same hotel that Nicolas Sarkozy stays in, and we got it for a wicked good price because of all of our credit card points. Dave remembers the exact numbers, I do not. We realized that we are 4 star hotel type people, not 5 star.

The view in the restaurant was amazing - we could see the Parthenon all lit up at night and gaze at it while we ate the most overpriced brunch we've ever had. ;)

Our general impression of Athens was, meh. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed doing all of the touristy things of going to all of the ruins, visiting the museums and seeing the changing of the guards. But Athens itself was not our favorite part of our honeymoon. It turned out to just be a dirty city.

The Parthenon was amazing - but would have been better had we been able to walk inside. It was amazing to be in a place that held such history and was so old, I've never been in a place that old.

I enjoyed the history aspect of all of the sites we visited and was slightly bummed that the museum that they were advertising and pushing for the Parthenon was not open yet(it in fact opened in 2011).

In Delphi we almost missed the bus back to Athens because Dave was so obsessed with taking pictures. I almost grabbed his camera and threw it into the ruins. ;) Delphi was interesting, especially to see the open air round theatre. And the town going into the ruins was very picturesque.

My favorite part of Athens was the Plaka. The Plaka is the old marketplace that you can get amazing deals and just soak in the culture. Dave and I enjoyed finding souvenirs for our family and just people watching while we ate at one of the outdoor restaurants.

Hopefully we'll go back to Greece again, and if we do Athens won't be on the top of the list. However, Athens will be on the list when we take our son there so he can experience the history and beautiful ruins that we did.

And yes, you heard me correctly - we are having a baby. I have yet to name my baby blog but keep your eye's peeled ;)

No comments: